Participants can choose between:
Sunday (April) : Mackay Surf Club
– Olympic Distance (1500m swim, 40km cycle and 10km run) – 15 years+
– Sprint Triathlon (750m swim, 16km cycle and 5km run) – 14 years+
– Enticer Triathlon (300m swim, 8km cycle and 2km run) – 12 years+
*All events on Sunday can be as a team of 2 or 3 people!
Sunday (May): Mackay Aquatic and Recreation Complex
– BOQ Mackay City Corporate Teams Triathlon – Non Corporate, Corporate and Junior Categories (400m swim, 15km cycle and 3.5km run) – 12 years+ TEAM EVENT ONLY – each person completes a discipline
– Mini Kids (100m swim, 3km cycle and 500m run) – 7 – 12 years – Special Triathlon (50m swim, 1km cycle and 400m run) – Special Needs
The golden shore of Mackay Harbour welcomes our visiting triathletes to the Mackay Triathlon Festival, an event run by the Mackay Triathlon Club. While here, spend some time to enjoy an array of natural delights throughout the region.
Sugarcane fields fringe the town centre and the glistening Pioneer River, one of the few blue-water rivers in Australia, winds its way through the heart of the city to meet the sea.
Enjoy the serenity of the lush rainforest of Eungella National Park, 80km west of Mackay, where you can watch platypus play in the cool water of Broken River. You may even be lucky enough to spot the rare Eungella Honeyeater. On the drive through the Pioneer Valley, turn in at Finch Hatton Gorge and walk through sub-tropical rainforest as you head to Araluen Falls for a quick dip or try forest flying.
50km north of Mackay is Cape Hillsborough where the rainforest meets the sea in a vast sandy beach studded with prehistoric rock formations. Meet the local wallabies and kangaroos on the beach at sunrise for an unforgettable family experience.
Take a day trip out to unspoilt Keswick Island with its fringing reef, white sands and national park rainforest. Dive among colourful fishes and corals or walk along forest paths teeming with Blue Tiger Butterflies.
These and so many other sights await you when you visit the tropical paradise that is Mackay where we don’t just offer a triathlon but a lifetime experience
The Festival weekend caters for kids between the ages of 7 and 12 years (Mini Kids), beginners just starting out in the sport (Enticer) and those wanting to step it up to the next distance (Sprint). The signature event is the Olympic Distance where athletes will compete for top spot across the field.